7.14.2008

Zimbabwe's Inflation and the End of Zimbabwean Currency


Here's a photo of the $500 million bank note from Zimbabwe. This note was introduced to the country in May, because the rate of inflation was so high that smaller forms of currency had become obsolete. It was worth $2 USD.

Here's a photo of a Zimbabwean bank note that is now obsolete.

The newest bank note from Zimbabwe? The $50 billion note. It's value? $1 USD. Why isn't it pictured? Well, I guess it's just too new for a picture to have circulated the internet. Read all about it in this article from LATimes, or click on the title of this blog. Anyone who has talked to me since Zimbabwe's March 29th presidential elections knows my thoughts, concerns and unwilling suspensions of disbelief about this, but it'd be cool to have a dialogue with folks on my comments page.

For anyone ever curious what happens when a country crumbles, we might just see it happen with Zimbabwe. I hope we don't.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Personally, I think Zimbabwe totally falling apart is way more likely than "just might happen".

I was reading an interview with Nelson Mandela where he mentioned how he used to hang out with Robert Mugabe. Apparently he used to be a reasonably chill dude or something?

Jon Grip said...

Well, you could also argue that it's already fallen apart, 'cause... 80% unemployment? $50 bil Zimbabwe = $1 USD? Government killing its citizens to stay in power?

Well, in 1980, when Mugabe took over, it was a nationalist revolution. The country supported this new leader because he overthrew the one everyone hated. But I don't know that Mugabe could ever have been considered what you and I might call a 'chill dude,' haha.